Thursday, December 27, 2007

Till He Come

Communion Meditations And Addresses
By C. H. Spurgeon

(Not published in The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit.)
First Published 1896.


PREFATORY NOTE.

For many years, whether at home or abroad, it was Mr. Spurgeon's constant custom to observe the ordinance of the Lord's supper every Sabbath-day, unless illness prevented. This he believed to be in accordance with apostolic precedent; and it was his oft-repeated testimony that the more frequently he obeyed his Lord's command, "This do in remembrance of Me," the more precious did his Saviour become to him, while the memorial celebration itself proved increasingly helpful and instructive as the years rolled by.

Several of the discourses here published were delivered to thousands of communicants in the Metropolitan Tabernacle, while others were addressed to the little companies of Christians, of different denominations, and of various nationalities, who gathered around the communion table in Mr. Spurgeon's sitting-room at Mentone. The addresses cover a wide range of subjects; but all of them speak more or less fully of the great atoning sacrifice of which the broken bread and the filled cup are the simple yet significant symbols.

Mr. Spurgeon had intended to publish a selection of his Communion Addresses; so this volume may be regarded as another of the precious literary legacies bequeathed by him to his brethren and sisters in Christ who have yet to tarry a while here below. It is hoped that these sermonettes will be the means of deepening the spiritual life of many believers, and that they will suggest suitable themes for meditation and discourse to those who have the privilege and responsibility of presiding at the ordinance.

CONTENTS:

1. Mysterious Visits.

"Thou hast visited me in the night." Psalm 17:3.


2. "Under His Shadow."

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1.

"The shadow of a great rock in a weary land." Isa. 32:2.

"As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my Beloved among the sons. I sat down under His shadow with great delight, and His fruit was sweet to my taste:" Solomon's Song 2:3.

"Because Thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of Thy wings will I rejoice." Psalm 63:7.

"And He hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of His hand hath He hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in His quiver hath He hid me." Isa. 49:2.


3. Under the Apple Tree.

"I sat down under His shadow with great delight, and His fruit was sweet to my taste." Solomon's Song 2:3.


4. Over the Mountains.

"My Beloved is mine, and I am His: He feedeth among the lilies. Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, turn, my Beloved, and be Thou like a roe or a young hart upon the mountains of Bether." Solomon's Song 2:16-17.


5. Fragrant Spices from the Mountains of Myrrh.

"Thou art all fair, My love; there is no spot in thee." Solomon's Song 4:7.


6. The Well-beloved.

"Yea, He is altogether lovely." Solomon's Song 5:16.


7. The Spiced Wine of my Pomegranate.

"I would cause Thee to drink of spiced wine of the juice of my pomegranate." Solomon's Song 8:2.

"And of His fulness have all we received, and grace for grace," John 1:16.


8. The Well-beloved's Vineyard.

"My Well-beloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill." Isaiah 5:1.


9. Redeemed Souls Freed from Fear.

"Fear not: for I have redeemed thee." Isaiah 43:1.


10. Jesus, the Great Object of Astonishment.

"Behold, My Servant shall deal prudently, He shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high. As many were astonied at Thee; His visage was so marred more than any man, and His form more than the sons of men: so shall He sprinkle many nations, the kings shall shut their mouths at Him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider." Isaiah 52:13-15.


11. Bands of Love; or, Union to Christ.

"I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them." Hosea 11:4.


12. "I Will Give you Rest."

"I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28.


13. The Memorable Hymn.

"And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives." Matthew 26:30.


14. Jesus Asleep on a Pillow.

"And He was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake Him, and say unto Him, Master, carest Thou not that we perish? And He arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm." Mark 4:38-39.


15. Real Contact with Jesus.

"And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched Me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of Me." Luke 8:46.


16. Christ and His Table-companions.

"And when the hour was come, He sat down, and the twelve apostles with Him." Luke 22:14.


17. A Word from the Beloved's Own Mouth.

"And ye are clean." John 13:10.


18. The Believer Not an Orphan.

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." John 14:18.


19. Communion with Christ and His People.

"The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread." 1 Cor. 10:16-17.


20. The Sin-Bearer.

"Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls." 1 Peter 2:24-25.


21. Swooning and Reviving at Christ's Feet.

"And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen: and have the keys of hell and of death." Revelation 1:17-18.

C. H. Spurgeon's Communion Hymn.


Jerry's Note: I highly recommend reading Till He Come by Charles Spurgeon, especially if you love reading and studying the Song of Solomon. Spurgeon's book of communion meditations really opens up some of the symbolism in the Song of Solomon, and is sure to kindle and strengthen your devotion to the Lord. Lord willing, I will post all the chapters of this book periodically in this blog. You can click here to read the rest of the book ahead of time, if you so desire. Till He Come was taken from the following link: Till He Come (I do not endorse MOST of the material on that site, though there are several solid books that can be downloaded from there. Feel free to contact me about which ones I would recommend out of them all.) See also Spurgeon Gems, where many of Spurgeon's sermons and other books are all freely available online.

No comments:

Post a Comment